2.16.2006

what's your Isaac?

my laptop is my isaac.

many times, it has been asked of me, yet i held on to it as if my entire life depended on it, unlike abraham, who easily gave up his son Isaac--he whom Abraham prayed for and waited 25 years to receive and he whom the Lord's promise of inheritance depended upon.

come to think of it, i've become too attached to it that it has become the center of my life! the time i spend in front of the computer is more than the time i should be spending in prayer or bible-reading. i log on at the office. and i log on when i get home. i can spend hours and hours surfing the net, overloading my soul and brain with un-useful information, and i don't even mind!

i vividly remember one stormy July afternoon when most of our office staff have gone home. Date and i stayed awhile when we heard a crackling sound. the powersupply sparked and the electricity has become unstable. fearing the spark might cause a fire, the first thing my sister grabbed was Miller, while i ran towards the table to snatch my laptop. all the time, leaving the day's collection untouched and in plain sight.

at hindsight, it's pathetic to realize where my heart was. is.

i've become too attached to it that God's telling me it's time to detach. time to de-centralize. and put back the center of my focus to the One whom it rightfully belongs. i know i've written this previously, but i seem to be not learning my lesson.

God is a jealous God. and He doesn't want anything in the way of our love for Him. idolatry comes in many forms-- and many times, not in the form we expect it to be. it can be money, or your work, or your cellphone. whatever takes your attention away from God, that's your idol. for me, it was my laptop.

and now that it's broken again, i concede.

i've been too stubborn for a long time now. red-neck, if you may say so.

in the office, i live like a gypsy--shuffling from one pc to another. it's more difficult i must admit, but then i brought it upon myself.

at least now, no more internet when i get home. just quiet time and reflection.

and it has brought tremendous results-- i'm more grateful for the little blessings, and less bitter towards my world.

maybe i should keep my laptop broken for a while.

how about you? what's your isaac?

No comments: