4.03.2007

unfortunate pinay

it was my turn at singapore's immigration. the officer gazed at me, took a close look at my passport, and started bombarding me with questions:

"how long are you staying in singapore? when are you leaving? do you have a return flight?"
..and demanded for my ticket.

since i planned on coming back and spend 2 more weeks in malaysia, she started scribbling my itinerary.

15 minutes later and probably proving that i have no intentions of prolonging my stay in the lion city (as most pinays do), the officer finally let me in.

-- & --

when i met up with my Maori friends Kamera and Harley in Kuching, i told them about what happened in singapore. i also gave them the background that the reason why immigration officers are stern about letting Filipinas in is that most of these Pinays overstay, hoping to find a job there before their 14-day visa expires.

"no wonder our line was held up in brunei immigration. there was a filipina in jeans and shirt who was ahead of us. she looked like a typical househelp."

kamera then continued her advice by telling me to dress appropriately when i go to brunei. this will tell them that i respect their customs and am not there to find a job.

fast-forward to brunei immigration. the lady officer was dutifully doing her task reviewing my
passport and i was all-smiles. donning a long-sleeved kurta and a lengthy sarong, doing my best to look prim and proper, ready to show her my flight out to the philippines in a few days, and ready to recite my itinerary, she handed my passport back to me. stamped with a 14-day stay. no questions asked.

:) delightful.

it's a sad reality that Filipino women are discriminated against.
that's why whenever i run off to a different country, i try my best to give the Philippines a good name.

No comments: