9.22.2005

the power of words

Wanting to hear what our staff has to say about their work, my sister came up with a “survey” requiring them to fill in the blanks. The sentences vary from: “The best part of my job is...”, “I will stay long with the company because…”, “I don’t like it when my superiors…”

When the results came out, the replies varied from the usual (“higher salaries”) to the expected (“allowing us to grow by sending us to trainings”) to hard core truths (“they always see our mistakes and miss out on our accomplishments”).

After reviewing their reactions and comments, little by little a part of me was being crushed. Why is the truth painful?

I admit words can hurt. They are powerful. And they stay. No matter how much I want to shake it off me, it manages to cling to every part of my being… when I reflect by myself… during lunch break… in the bathroom… before I sleep… I am so tempted to look away. Turn a blind eye…a deaf ear.

But, we brought it upon ourselves. We asked for it. We got them. Straightforward. Without any pretensions.

Looking back, I like to think that I picked up a lesson attached to it.

Aside from the fact that I have some character flaws to iron out, I saw it the other way around: how I tend to complain to God (with Him being the boss, and me being the employee). I am turned off by what I saw. I can get filthy. And I can clearly imagine how God must be hurt with my demands. “Compensate me for my overtime pay praying.” “Give me more blessings, like a trip to Russia.” “What’s in it for me when I read the Bible?”

Such an unsightly sight (forgive me for being redundant), but definitely an eye-opener.

The next time I hear myself whining, maybe I should go over and review the staff survey.

That would bring me back to my feet. And keep me grounded.

No comments: