9.24.2005

what a girl wants

(this happened a month ago)

It was a particularly turbulent afternoon. The sky was grey when I left the house and a storm was starting to build up. I only have three days in Manila and I have to make the most out of my stay. I called up long-time friends and decided to meet up with them in a new mall at the heart of Quezon City.


As I was finishing up lunch with my first friend, the lights unexpectedly went out. Within just a few minutes, the generator was up and running. My second friend arrived when my first was about to leave.

We agreed on watching a movie. We paid a premium for the tickets since the theatres have reserved seats.

We entered right before the movie was just going to start when a personnel announced that we had to transfer to another hall due to some “technical problems”. All of us were already heading towards the exit when a student shouted “How about our seats?” The personnel must have unheard the comment. (or probably… did it on purpose). I quietly thought to myself “To our original numbered seats, of course.”

Apparently, we were transferred to a smaller theatre. Everybody was on a ruckus when we got inside and I overheard patrons whispering “the seats are now first come first served”.

What?!! That didn’t seem right. I had to clarify that with their staff. And clarify I did.

The rumor is true. People can sit anywhere they want.

That’s unfair! That’s when my temper began to rise. So what was the premium for? I asked to talk to their superior. He did all his best to explain, but I wouldn’t budge. Even if my friend was clamming up, I was determined to get my money’s worth. It wasn’t our fault that their equipment conked out (which was most likely due to the power failure brought about by the lightning and thunder). The cinema theatre officer was already offering me another movie. No, the only movie I wanna watch is “Must Love Dogs”. How about watching it another day? Can’t. I’m leaving for Ilocos tonight and I am not returning til the following month.

The senior officer must have figured out I’m beginning to be a pain, he finally conceded. Haha.

He gave us a full refund and led us inside to watch.

Between me and the college girl, who do you think got what she wanted?

p.s. I’d like to thank the many subscribers we have in the province. Without them, I wouldn’t have practiced the art of complaining.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i'm normally a softspoken person.

even i surprised myself when i began attacking. haha.

but the results i got after? rewarding! (not a perfect mastercard moment, but yeah priceless.)